Saturday, June 2, 2012

New Recipe

Ok so I thought I would start posting more pics and recipes of the meals I make

First cab off the rank is Chicken Parmigiana
This is my all time favourite dish and I love making it.

Ingredients:
2 Free Range /Organic Chicken breasts sliced in half length ways
1 brown onion diced
3 cloves of garlic (or you can use jar stuff though try and get the organic one)
tsp Italian herbs
tin of Organic tomatoes
jar of Organic Passata
cup of Almond Meal
1 egg beaten
3tbs coconut oil to fry
1 cup Ricotta or Cottage Cheese

Method:
brown the onion then add the garlic, Italian herbs and tin tomato and passata
allow this to simmer on low heat

In a separate bowl beat the egg, in another bowl have the almond meal
Dip the chicken breast in the egg and then coat with the almond meal.
Fry the chicken in the coconut oil until browned.


In a casserole dish place a serving of the sauce mix on the bottom of the dish. Place chicken on top covering with the remaining sauce.
Place tbs of the ricotta along the chicken so that each individual chicken has some ricotta spread.

(mine is a little naughty tonight with some Parmesan sprinkled on top also)


Serve with a side of greens or any other veg you like :-)


Side note: 
  • If you don't have Almond meal then use crushed up Rye Ryvitas.
  • I weigh my chicken breast to ensure that when sliced in half it is no more than 100gm (150gm at the most!)
  • If you don't have Coconut Oil use Avocado, Canola or Macadamia oil. Olive oil turns into a bad fat when heated at high temp and loses all the benefits of being a good fat.
  • I alter the sauce to taste so I may add more herbs or garlic depending
  • I don't like Cottage Cheese when it is heated therefore I use Ricotta. Now Cottage is higher in protein but I figure with my Chicken I am getting a decent serve anyway. Also Cottage is casein dominant therefore keeping you fuller for longer whereas Ricotta is whey so breaks down faster. Again personal choice.
  • If you want to make your meal lighter then do not coat the chicken in the Almond meal. Almonds are a good source of Omegas but of course have a higher fat ratio. A good fat but if you are counting calories then it would bump them up for sure.
So that was our dinner tonight and thank god I have some left overs for next week when Andrew is away! Only need to steam some greens and I am set!!!!

The chicken breasts we got were quite large so cute off a fair bit. Diced these up and coated them in Moroccan Spice to have in salads for lunch during the week. YUMMO

Hope you enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment